Local History Class Visits the Center

Local students from McIntosh Academy’s Local History Class visited Ashantilly. President Harriet Langford presented a program which portrayed the important role of Ashantilly in the history of the area. Built by Thomas Spalding in the early 1820’s, the “Old Tabby” was part of the Scottish traditions for which the county is so well known. After learning and touring the house, students were led to the print shop where they printed a small broadside on the Vandercook proofing press. The Center’s founder, William Haynes, Jr., was a renowned Letterpress printer, and his legacy lives on with this fully functioning print studio.

Published by ashantillycenter

Secretary, Board of Directors of Ashantilly Center, Darien, GA

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: